Dr. Schlang helps his patients attain the perfect smile in a myriad of ways. From porcelain veneers to teeth whitening and white fillings to full mouth rehabilitation, his expertise can improve any smile. But there is more to attaining a great celebrity smile. Watching your diet is one of the most important ways to keep your teeth healthy and white. Here are a few diet tips to maintain a beautiful, celebrity-like smile.
Watch What You Eat and Drink
1. Stop Drinking Soda
Soda may be delicious, but consuming sugary drinks on a regular basis is the death knell of beautiful smiles. Loaded with sugar, these beverages wreak havoc on tooth enamel. Unfortunately, diet soda isn’t any better. Low sugar versions of your favorite sodas are full of acid, which promote tooth decay. It’s best to avoid soda altogether, but if you must partake, keep it at a minimum.
2. Snack Less and Snack Smarter
Avoid cookies and candy at all costs. Of course, we don’t expect patients to stop snacking. But there is an alternative. Eat more low-sugar such as yogurt, fruit, cheese, and plain toast.
3. Stop Drinking Coffee
This is a tough one for people who need their morning dose of caffeine. It’s best to avoid coffee altogether if you want to maintain a bright smile. However, if you must, there are ways to reduce coffee stains.
First, however, you should know the cause of coffee stains. Polyphenols are the main culprit. The micronutrients are mostly good for us, but coffee is packed with polyphenols, which stain teeth. Thus, by limiting polyphenols or how much they come into contact with teeth, the less stains. Here are some strategies to reduce coffee stains:
- Decrease contact between teeth and coffee: Try drinking with a straw. Drinking quickly also helps. Espresso can be consumed in a few sips so it may be a better choice compared to a full cup of coffee.
- Dry processed Arabica Beans have less polyphenols.
- Extract less polyphenols: Different brewing methods produce different amounts of polyphenols. Cold brew produces the least amount. Using a percolator is next to the bottom of the list. The Turkish method produces the most polyphenols.
- Add more high fat animal milk to your coffee.
- Do not brush immediately after drinking coffee.